The PA Program will acquire and coordinate all clinical rotation sites and preceptors for students. Students are not required to obtain their own sites or preceptors. Students may, however, suggest sites or preceptors to the PA Program. The Program, at its sole discretion, will review and evaluate student-suggested sites and preceptors for educational suitability before approving them for use as clinical sites. All clinical sites and preceptors must meet Program expectations and policies.
Before considering a clinical experience request, the student must ensure that the potential preceptor/site does not pose a conflict of interest. If there is any potential for conflict of interest, the request should not be made.
In-State Requests (Colorado): If a student is interested in a clinical experience at a certain site or with a specific preceptor within the state of Colorado, the following protocol must be followed:
- Refrain from contacting the site or preceptor until a discussion with a member of the PA Clinical Team has occurred.
- Discuss preferences and interests during a one-on-one meeting and/or record your preferences in the elective interest surveys.
- If a meeting with a team member has already occurred, an email request must be sent to the Clinical Team (PAClinicalEducation@rvu.edu) regarding the interest. Include the site name and/or preceptor name and discipline (e.g. pediatrics).
- Communication with the site and/or preceptor will follow the Clinical Team’s established process.
Out-of-State Requests: The student should only contact sites/preceptors where a personal relationship has previously been established. Students should not “cold-call” sites/preceptors or contact other PA Programs requesting clinical experiences.
If a student is interested in a clinical experience at a certain site or with a specific preceptor outside of Colorado, the following protocol must be followed:
- Complete as much information as possible on the preceptor recommendation link (Preceptor Recommendation Link). If the rotation is deemed appropriate, a member of the Clinical Team will extend a courtesy call to the PA Program(s) in that state to ensure there is no conflict with their scheduling needs.
- The student is responsible for arranging transportation and housing for their out-of-state clinical experience.
- Some states require additional authorization or fees for an out-of-state student to complete a rotation. The student will accept responsibilities for the fees and additional paperwork needs.