As part of admission to the RVU PA Program, all students are required to complete and pass a criminal background check prior to matriculation, in accordance with the Background Check Policy. A letter attesting to having passed this check is placed in the student’s academic file and is sent to clinical experience sites when requested. A student who has passed a criminal background investigation after admissions and prior to matriculation in the RVU PA Program will not be re-investigated except under the following conditions:
- The student has not participated in the program for more than one (1) year;
- It is determined by the program that another criminal background investigation is warranted;
- A clinical experience site requires an additional, more current criminal background check be performed prior to the start of a clinical experience.
Current students are required to report any criminal charges to the RVU PA Program Director within thirty (30) days for any of the following types of offenses:
- Any felony charge;
- Charges for drug or alcohol use or distribution;
- Charges for serious or violent crimes;
- Charges related to moral turpitude.
Repeat criminal background investigations will require a new consent/release form signed by the student prior to conducting the background investigation, as well as the payment of the background check fee. Students who refuse to consent to additional criminal background investigations will be subject to discipline, up to and including dismissal from the program. The SAPC will review results of the criminal background investigation. The student may be subject to probation or dismissal, pending the results of the review.