(Colorado and Utah Locations)
The RVUCOM Office of Admissions processes thousands of applications for admission each year. The minimum requirements for admission include:
- A bachelor’s degree or higher from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university must be completed prior to matriculation (exceptions may be made and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. These exceptions may pertain to faith-based and/or strong international universities).
In the event of coursework completed at foreign institutions, official detailed course-by-course evaluations must be completed by an approved agency. Please see the list of approved agencies in the RVU Student Handbook and Catalog, under 'Matriculation' section.
- Minimum prerequisite course work that must be completed prior to matriculation includes:
– Biology (12 semester hours including lab)
– General Chemistry (8 semester hours including lab)
– Organic Chemistry (8 semester hours including lab)
– Physics (8 semester hours including lab)
– English or Literature (6 semester hours)
– Social or Behavioral Sciences (6 semester hours)
– Biochemistry (3 semester hours)
No grade below a “C” will be considered to fulfill requirements. Additional upper-division coursework such as Human Anatomy, Physiology, Genetics, and Cellular Biology is highly recommended.
- A minimum science and cumulative GPA of 3.0 as calculated on the AACOMAS application.
Note: The chances for admission for a candidate with minimal grades are limited. Admission would require outstanding achievement on the part of the candidate during their career or unique individual circumstances. Preference will be given to candidates with a science and cumulative GPA of 3.6 or higher. On average, candidates admitted to colleges of osteopathic medicine each of the past three years have GPAs greater than 3.6.
- RVUCOM is requiring candidates to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). Candidates are required to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) within 3 years prior to matriculation. There is no minimum required score.
Note: A competitive MCAT score is around 506
- Letters of Recommendations (submitted to AACOMAS). Three required letters include:
- A letter from a healthcare provider (DO or MD preferred) who has worked with the candidate.
- An academic reference (order of preference to include Pre-Med Advisor or Committee, Basic Science Faculty, or anyone who can speak to the candidate’s ability to successfully complete a rigorous medical school curriculum).
- A letter of the candidate's choice.
- Be aware that only the maximum number of six (6) letters submitted through AACOMAS will be considered. The Office of Admissions is not able to accept letters of recommendation sent directly to RVUCOM or from any other letter service, such as Interfolio or VirtualEvals.
- Students must provide official transcripts from all colleges attended where a degree was earned prior to matriculation. In the event of coursework completed at foreign institutions, the applicant must submit official detailed course-by-course evaluations completed by an approved agency. A list of these agencies is available in the University Handbook & Catalog.
International students: RVUCOM welcomes international applications. Demonstrated English language proficiency is required; preference will be given to applicants who have previously attended a regionally-accredited college or university in the U.S.